Day 6

Leaving Poplar Bluff I had a pretty significant headwind and lots of hills to face, so it was a slow day. Riding through the Mark Twain National Forest was gorgeous though, so it made up for how difficult it was!


Within the first couple of hours, I made it to Greenville and stopped for a snack and to refill my bottle, but while leaving ran into an Australian touring cyclist named Benjamin who was hitting all 48 contiguous states!

We chatted for a while but were going opposite ways so said goodbye and rode off. I didn't realize how far away the next stop was and ran out of water about 8 miles before, so when I arrived I was parched and gulping down water. I made it to Frederickown around 5:30 and stopped at a McDonald's to make a few calls and charge my phone, but was soon off again towards Farmington. On the way to town I found an iPhone 7 on the shoulder of the highway and it was in perfect working order, but the contacts in the phone wouldn't answer. I kept the phone with me and made my way into town. Once in Farmington I headed to cici's pizza and gorged myself, eating a whole plate of bread sticks, my own pizza, and a plate of dessert. I found out about a bike hostel in town set up specifically for touring cyclists and went to check it out. The transcontinental bike route runs through Farmington, so the town has set up this wonderful place, charging only $20 to stay! 





Aaron and Carianne Shorey are actually the ones responsible for putting me up there for the night, more people taking care of me! I was the only rider there, but it was still enjoyable and very comfortable! I tried again to call the contacts in the phone, and finally one answered! They were already in St Louis, but were very thankful and told me they would meet me in the morning. When I woke up I went to Pine Mountain coffee shop for some breakfast, and met with Fred afterwards to give him his phone back. Now I'm getting ready to leave, headed for St Louis today!

Comments

  1. gunna guess and say that was aaron and carianne shorey? lol! good folks keeping watch of you bud! so cool to see you meet others on the road with a similar journey ahead of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, must have had a brain fart! Glad you got a cool place to stay!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8

Day 3

Day 11