Day 2

I didn't really have a set town in mind for the end of the day, just the idea that I was going to ride until I wanted to settle down somewhere. I'm only riding one road all the way through Arkansas, so I hopped on highway 67 and started rolling. The highway has an amazing shoulder, in some places smoother than the actual road, and I felt comfortable all day.
  

 Compared to the hills of East Texas, my route was fairly flat, and though it was still windy, it wasn't as strong as the first day. I made it to Fulton after about an hour and a half and crossed the red river on my way to hope. 

I stopped at a Tailgaters Burger Co in hope about an hour later and sat down to escape the heat and fill my stomach. Looking at my map, I was thinking that I would stay in Gurdon for the evening, so I had about 35 miles to go. As I walked out of the burger joint, my rear tire was completely flat, and I discovered the wire bead on my tire had come loose and stabbed my tube. After a lot of frustration I found a spot to grab some wire cutters and remedied the situation, wasting about 30 minutes. I hit the road again, settling into a rhythm on 67 and racking up miles. Once I got to Gurdon though, I realized how small of a town it was and how much more daylight I had, so I pushed on to Arkadelphia. 


I got to Arkadelphia and looked into warmshowers hosts, and ended up chatting with the only host in the area, Taylor. We agreed that after I ate dinner I would meet up with him, so I headed into Java Primo coffee shop and cafe for dinner. I met three older people inside who asked me where I was going, and were amazed with my answer, so much so that they had the cashier refund my meal and paid for it themselves! I had a wonderful handmade pizza, some assorted fruit, and wonderful Rocky Road gelato!

After I finished I met up with Taylor who showered me with hospitality, and I took a shower which felt amazing!
I woke up this morning and headed over to IHOP, grabbing a stack of pancakes and sitting down to write this. 

Today's destination is Little Rock, and I'll be about halfway through Arkansas!

Comments

  1. Day 2, looking strong! despite the frustration it sounds like you came across some awesome folks! good looking grub too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8

Day 3

Day 11